CALL FOR M.SC. GRADUATE PROGRAM for ACADEMIC YEAR 2023 – 2024 by the Democritus University of Thrace (Greece)
The Department of Environmental Engineering of the Democritus University of Thrace offers during the academic year 2023-2024 (for the 14th year) a three (3) semester Master’s Degree Program in the subject of Environmental Engineering and Science
A maximum of forty (40) Graduate Students can join the Program, who can be graduates of Engineering Schools, Schools of Applied Sciences, Schools of Environment and Ecology and Agricultural Schools of Universities of Greece or abroad or recognized foreign institutions, as well as graduates of previous Technical Universities.
This M.Sc. program awards a Postgraduate Diploma (Master of Science) in “Environmental Engineering and Science” and has three specializations, namely:
(1) Climate change, renewable energy resources and energy design of buildings and structures,
(2) Technology and Waste Management,
(3) New Technologies in Water Resources Management (ATTENTION: the 3rd specialization will not be offered during the academic year 2023-2024)
To be awarded the M.Sc. degree, students need to fulfill the following criteria:
- a) attend and pass eight (8) elective courses (grade ≥0 out 10.0);
- b) attend a Seminar that takes place during the first two semesters (by distance);
- c) submit and defend a Master’s Dissertation, which is realized during the third semester of their studies. The subject of the Master’s thesis is assigned to the master’s students until the beginning of the third semester of studies.
Courses are held every Monday to Friday from 15:00 to 21:00 p.m. and every Saturday from 9:00 onwards, using only on-line media.
To attend the program, students need to pay tuition fees equal to €750 per semester, for the first three semesters of studies (i.e. a total of €2250), which are non-refundable in case of interruption of attendance at the program. Exemption from tuition fees is possible, in accordance with article 86 of Law 4957/2022 (Government Gazette A’ 141, 21-7-2022), which sets the economic, social and excellence criteria (basic degree grade equal to or greater than 7.5). The total number of students that can receive a full fee waiver cannot exceed the 30% of the total number of students enrolled to the Graduate program.
Interested parties are invited to submit the following documents electronically. Each document will be a separate pdf file:
- Application to the Secretariat of the Department of Environmental Engineering, by completing a letter in which the full name and the desire to apply to the program appear.
- Copy of Diploma/Degree. Attention: In the case that candidates are expected to graduate within the next examination period of the call and there are pending courses, a solemn declaration that the degree is to be soon obtained must be submitted no later than September.
- Transcripts with all courses of the main degree with corresponding grades per course.
- Complete resume.
- A diploma documenting the good knowledge of English or Greek (level B2 and above).
- Photocopy of ID.
- Solemn declaration: (1) For the authenticity of the submitted documents and (2) that the applicant is not enrolled in another M.Sc. Program.
All of the above must be submitted via e-mail to the secretariat of the Department of Environmental Engineering email@example.com as attached pdf files. In the subject of the message, please write “Application to M.Sc. program Environmental Engineering and Science.”
Two recommendation letters (in electronic format) are also required. These letters must be sent by the recommenders (professors, employers etc.) directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject of the message, please write: Letter of recommendation for the NAME OF THE CANDIDATE for the “Environmental Engineering and Science” M.Sc. program.
The first submission deadline is Monday July 10th 2023. After this deadline, applications will be assessed and, as long as there are vacancies, they will be filled at the next submission deadline, which is Monday October 2nd 2023. Courses are expected to start on mid-October 2023.
The evaluation criteria are the average score of the basic diploma, the relevance of the undergraduate thesis to the subject of the M.Sc. program, publications in proceedings of scientific conferences, publications in scientific journals and relevant professional experience.
The Department of Environmental Engineering reserves the right not to offer a course or not to operate a M.Sc. specialization, if there exist important reasons, such as when the number of enrolled graduate students in a course is equal to or less than two (2). In all other cases, lessons will be offered.
The call for expression of interest is subject to the issuance of relevant decisions by the Dept. of Environmental Engineering.
Additional information about the study program and the operation of the M.Sc. program can be found on the website “pmemaster.env.duth.gr”.
Additional information is provided by the Director of the Postgraduate Studies Program Professor Dimitrios Komilis via e-mail at email@example.com or at +30-697-4453554 (or alternatively from the Secretariat, Ms. Athanasia Averopoulou at +30-698-6651261). It is noted that the M.Sc. is recognized by the Hellenic Supreme Council for the selection of employees (ASEP) in subjects related to environmental issues and environmental technologies. Information material is available on the website https://pmemaster.env.duth.gr/ and on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pmexanthi
CONTENTS OF COURSES